Trailers from Governor become a Safe Landing for Homeless Families in South LA

Councilmember Curren Price and Supervisor Mark Ridley-Thomas on Feb. 13 welcomed the arrival of the first 10 trailers sent by Gov. Gavin Newsom to South LA to temporarily house homeless families with children. 

Thanks to the efforts between City, County and State governments, local families who at one point were living in cars, RVs and motel rooms are being taken off of the streets and put on the fast track to housing stability.

In the span of just a few weeks, departments including LA Sanitation and Los Angeles Department of Water & Power, were able to turn an underutilized parking lot in District 9 into a community that will now be home to dozens of people. Councilmember Price filed the Los Angeles City Council motion to expedite the lease for the project site.

“With the addition of this location, families will now be offered a fresh start to get back on their feet and on track to building a better future. We’re not only transforming their lives, but restoring their dignity,” said Councilman Price. “We understand the magnitude of this humanitarian crisis and we need to examine every possible solution from different angles. We must continue to work collaboratively and expeditiously with our partners if we are to solve the crisis of our generation.”

The trailers, which were donated by the State, are equipped with a bedroom, bathroom, kitchen and dining area. There will also be wrap-around services provided by St. Joseph Center to assist the families with the support and care they need. This location will include an outdoor playground for the children, pet area and patio area for families to enjoy.

On Saturday, Feb. 15 Councilmember Price, Supervisor Ridley-Thomas, St. Joseph Center and United Way of Greater LA will host a Community Day with about 50 volunteers and residents from surrounding neighborhoods to prepare and beautify the site. This includes installing landscaping, equipping the trailers with basic necessities, and creating welcome baskets for the families who will move in.

If you have any questions about Councilman Price's homelessness initiatives, call his District Office at (323) 846-2651.

Share

Creating Safer Streets for Students

Councilman Curren Price on Feb. 13, invited local students from Twenty-Eighth Elementary School to celebrate the addition of a new traffic signal at Adams Boulevard and Stanford Avenue.

The traffic signal, which will increase visibility and calm traffic on neighborhood streets, is one of four that are being installed as part of the “Safe Routes to School” project this year. Additional improvements are slated for Dolores Huerta Elementary School and Quincy Jones/Synergy Charter Academy.

"I look forward to continuing to work with LA Department of Transportation, as well as neighboring schools, parents and students to enhance pedestrian safety Districtwide," Councilman Price said. "By implementing safety improvements by way of traffic signals, speed humps or high visibility crosswalks, we are creating safer streets and giving the power back to the students to choose how they want to get to school."

Safe Routes to School has been responsible for developing and implementing safety plans that combine street improvements with safety, as well as education and promotes the simple act of walking to school.

If you have any questions about pedestrian safety or any other issue, call Councilman Price's District Office at (323) 846-2651.

Share

Price Seeks to Close Loophole in Tenant Protection Act

On Feb. 12,  Councilman Curren Price introduced a motion that would require landlords to pull government permits before issuing tenants a notice to vacate. The proposal would close a loophole in State law AB 1482, which went into effect this year and was intended to protect renters in good standing from being evicted.

Landlords had been using an exception in the law to evict tenants in order to perform “substantial renovations.” The law, however, did not require landlords to pull those permits or describe the work in order to issue notices to vacate. 

“It is clear that landlords are using this loophole to get around the protections that were intended for renters under AB1482,” Councilman Price said.

Under the proposed ordinance, which would be retroactive to Jan. 1, 2020, landlords would be required to pull permits before emptying a unit, and they must describe the planned work to tenants before issuing notices to vacate. A similar ordinance was passed in the City of Long Beach this week. The motion is expected to come to the full City Council on Wednesday, Jan. 19.

Click here to read more about the motion.

Share
Community Calendar Report a Neighborhood Issue Business Resource Center